Friday, September 11, 2009

Patriot Day





Well, today marks the 8 year anniversary of when the US was brutally attacked through highjacking. I can remember where I was when everything was going down. It was 7am and I was getting ready for school when they were broadcasting about the first plane hitting one building. Then, as I was watching the news, I saw the 2nd plane hit. We continued to watch newscasts once at school in the library. That's where I saw the first tower fall...It's a haunting image, something that will never, ever go away.

In a way, I'm thankful to have experienced such a catastrophy. I feel horrible for the families that were affected and are still being affected but in the same breath it has shed some sort of modesty to my life. Shown me that life is fragile and it's something we ought to be cherishing every chance we get.

I know a great quote from Mark Twain that states: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." I love those words, "...Explore. Dream. Discover." Why shouldn't we just take the chances? Jump the fence and enjoy the rush that we might encounter?

Today...it's a humbling day...a contemplative day...a day worth sitting back and really looking at your life. Realizing there's no such thing as mistakes, they're all learning experiences. Noticing that we have chances times a million to reach out to people and let them in our hearts. Feel what it's like to have a bad day, a heart break, a good cry, because without those we wouldn't be able to cherish the good days, the unconditional love, and the incontrollable laughter...

**Take a moment...take a moment of silence...reflect on the exact spot you're in right now**

God bless everyone!

No comments: